Raise your hand if you look forward to your performance review.
… No one? Anyone? Hello?
Okay, forgive me for being facetious. It’s a universal fact that no one likes performance reviews. And the anxiety holds regardless of company rank — the entry-level intern hates reviews just as much as the most senior member of the C-suite.
If you have a review coming up, we feel your pain. Here are the 14 stages of every performance review in GIFs to hopefully bring a smile to your face (and make you forget about your overwhelming sense of dread — at least for a little while).
The silver lining? It might not be that bad after all.
1. When your boss says hi upon getting into the office and you have your review in two hours
2. When you first get to the room where your review is being held
3. When your manager enters the room
4. When your manager starts by asking you how things have been going from your perspective
5. When your manager starts talking about all the great things you've been doing
6. When your manager goes on and on praising you about something that really didn't take all that much effort
7. When our boss says she wants to transition from talking about what’s been going well to discussing some areas for improvement
8. After hearing about a few times you messed up and what you could’ve done better
9. When your manager says something you really agree with
10. When you hear you're on the path to a promotion and ask for a few tips on how to get to the next level
11. When your manager says you’re a really valuable member of the team
12. When your manager says you're getting a raise
13. When you can’t wait to tell your significant other / friends / mom about your awesome performance review
14. When you can't even remember why you were so nervous to begin with
- 4 Phrases That Make Performance Reviews Completely Useless
- Four Methods You Should Never Use In Performance Reviews