Why the long faces? If you have a company full of them, then it probably means your employees are feeling undervalued. Lack of recognition is a likely culprit, and companies shouldn’t rely on management to hand out the gold stars.
These findings show the relationship between recognition and feeling valued:
- Nearly 30% of all employees have not received recognition in the past two weeks from their boss (TINYpulse internal data)
- Nearly 3 out of 4 employees don't feel fully recognized for doing great work
- A mere 21% of employees feel strongly valued in their workplace (Source)
- 44% of employees will use recognition tools if they have them (Source)
- The happier the employee, the more recognition they will give (Source)
The answer to the solution is in the data. Employees don’t have to wait for recognition from management when their peers can hand it out at any time. The more frequently they can give a shout-out to their colleague, the more valued everyone will feel. Here are five tools you can start using to turn those frowns upside down:
TINYpulse Cheers for Peers: Integrated into TINYpulse’s survey, Cheers for Peers is a section that allows employees to send shout-outs to anyone in the organization. Recipients receive an email with a link to the Cheers, and managers have access to them, which can be used as examples during performance reviews.
WooBoard: All it takes is one click to recognize a peer on WooBoard. This cloud-based platform also features a point system where employees can compete on a leaderboard for added fun.
Bonus.ly: Who doesn’t like bonuses? With this program, each employee receives a monthly allowance, which can be used to reward their peers. Although it’s not a large sum, no one can pass up an extra $20.
Kudos: Similar to WooBoard, Kudos allows employees to send messages to their peers, recognizing them for their hard work. Each “kudos” is based off of your company’s values, and the sender can choose different levels worth various points.
Tango Card: Although it’s not peer-driven, Tango Card is an innovative recognition tool for managers. Employees can receive a digital gift card that can be used for over 30 different brands, which provides flexibility in how people use their rewards.
Employees feeling undervalued can wreak havoc on productivity, trust, and worst of all, turnover rates. Do you want to ensure your employees are feeling appreciated but just don’t have the time? Turn over the power of recognition to the employees, and you’ll notice a positive change in the air.
- How to Use the Holidays as a Powerful Employee Recognition Tool
- Employee Recognition: Why It Matters And How To Do It